Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
- If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
- If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
- The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982: Regulations 5, 9, 10 & 16
- The Motorways Traffic (Scotland) Regulations 1995: Regulations 4, 8, 9 & 14
- Road Traffic Act 1988: Section 36
- The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002: Regulation 10(1)
Section: General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (rules 103 to 158) Subsection: Lines and lane markings on the road (rules 127 to 132)All Highway Code Rules | My Saved Highway Code Rules