Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
- engine braking is eliminated
- vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
- increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
- steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
- it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.
Section: General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (rules 103 to 158) Subsection: Control of the vehicle (rules 117 to 126)All Highway Code Rules | My Saved Highway Code Rules