You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, traffic officers in uniform, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals. Do not stop on the hard shoulder to either make or receive mobile phone calls.
- The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982: Regulations 5A, 7, 9, 10 & 16
- The Motorways Traffic (Scotland) Regulations 1995: Regulations 6(1), 8, 9 & 14
- Police Reform Act Section 41 & Schedule 5(8)
- Road Traffic Act 1988: Sections 35 & 163 as amended by Traffic Management Act Section 6
You MUST NOT pick up or set down anyone, or walk on a motorway, except in an emergency.
- Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984: Section 17
- The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982: Regulations 15