User-operated gates or barriers. Some crossings have ‘Stop’ signs and small red and green lights. You MUST NOT cross when the red light is showing, only cross if the green light is on. If crossing with a vehicle, you should
- open the gates or barriers on both sides of the crossing
- check that the green light is still on and cross quickly
- close the gates or barriers when you are clear of the crossing.
- Road Traffic Act 1988: Section 36
- The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002: Regulations 10 & 52(2)
Section: Road works, level crossings and tramways (rules 288 to 307) Subsection: Level crossings (rules 291 to 299)All Highway Code Rules | My Saved Highway Code Rules